By Stuart C Aitken,Gill Valentine
"The booklet covers a few of the (traditionally) so much obtuse and difficult-to-grasp philosophical principles that experience inspired geographers/geography. the truth that those are awarded in an inclusive and available demeanour is a key energy. Many scholars have commented that the chapters they've got learn have inspired them to learn extra during this box, that's extraordinary from a lecturer's perspective."
- Richard White, Sheffield Hallam University
A re-creation of the vintage methods textual content for college students, organised in 3 sections, which overviews and explains the background and philosophy of Human Geographies in all its purposes via those that preparation it:
- Section One – Philosophies: Positivist Geography / Humanism / Feminist Geographies / Marxisms / Structuration conception / Human Animal / Realism / Postmodern Geographies/ Poststructuralist Theories / Actor-Network conception, / Postcolonialism / Geohumanities / applied sciences
- Section – People: associations and Cultures / areas and Contexts / thoughts and needs / figuring out position / own and Political / changing into a Geographer / move and come across / areas and Flows / areas as concepts
- Section 3 – Practices: Mapping and Geovisualization / Quantification, facts, and Positivism / Geographic details structures / Humanism / Activism / Feminist Geographies / Poststructuralist Theories / Psychoanalysis / Environmental Inquiry / Contested Geographies and tradition Wars
Fully up to date all through and with 8 fresh chapters - this can be the center textual content for modules on background, thought, and perform in Human Geography.
Read or Download Approaches to Human Geography: Philosophies, Theories, People and Practices PDF
Similar human geography books
Julia Adeney Thomas turns the concept that of nature right into a robust analytical lens during which to view eastern modernity, bringing the examine of either jap background and political modernity to a brand new point of readability. She exhibits that nature inevitably capabilities as a political idea and that altering principles of nature's political authority have been primary in the course of Japan's transformation from a semifeudal international to an industrializing colonial empire.
Lately our international has visible adjustments of all types: extreme weather swap followed by means of major climate extremes; lethal tsunamis brought on by submarine earthquakes; unheard of terrorist assaults; high priced wars in Iraq and Afghanistan; a poor and ignored clash in Equatorial Africa costing hundreds of thousands of lives; an financial main issue threatening the soundness of the overseas procedure.
This is often the booklet of the broadcast e-book and will no longer contain any media, web site entry codes, or print supplementations which may come packaged with the sure ebook. Authored through finished city geographers and GIS specialists, Exploring the city group: A GIS procedure leverages the trendy geographer’s toolset, utilizing the newest GIS technique to the examine of city geography.
Roads and the robust feel of mobility that they promise hold us from side to side among the sweeping narratives of globalisation, and the explicit, tangible materialities of specific occasions and locations. certainly, even though roads may possibly, by way of comparability with the gleaming agility of digital applied sciences, seem to be grounded in 20th century business political financial system they can arguably be taken because the paradigmatic fabric infrastructure of the twenty-first century, aiding either the knowledge society (in the ever expanding stream of commoditized items and labour), and the extractive economies of constructing nations which the creation and replica of such items and labour relies.
- Geographies of Difference: Explorations in Northeast Indian Studies
- The Connected City: How Networks are Shaping the Modern Metropolis (The Metropolis and Modern Life)
- Städtische Transformationsprozesse in Mittel- und Osteuropa: Stadtentwicklung zwischen Wachstum und Schrumpfung am Beispiel von Łódź und Gdańsk (RaumFragen: ... – Region – Landschaft) (German Edition)
- Constructing Singapore Public Space (Advances in 21st Century Human Settlements)
- Selling Ethnic Neighborhoods: The Rise of Neighborhoods as Places of Leisure and Consumption (Routledge Advances in Geography)
Extra resources for Approaches to Human Geography: Philosophies, Theories, People and Practices
Approaches to Human Geography: Philosophies, Theories, People and Practices by Stuart C Aitken,Gill Valentine